Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cena Turns 100



ORLANDO, Fla. – John Cena may be a young man, but he nonetheless celebrated hitting the century mark one day before WrestleMania XXIV. The WWE Superstar was more than happy to grant his 100th Wish to a child in the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“I’m honored to be a part of a foundation that makes so many kids happy,” Cena told WWE.com. “It makes me feel good just to be a small piece of the puzzle.”

Cena was not alone. The former WWE Champion was joined at Universal Studios for a Make-A-Wish pizza party by Mickie James, Chris Jericho and Hardcore Legend Mick Foley, who all helped welcome 54 Make-A-Wish kids as they and their families walked along a red carpet. Once inside the studio building, the Wish kids and their families enjoyed a full buffet, in addition to entertainment by stilt walkers and cartoon characters, including Shrek and The Simpsons.

“I didn’t realize John had granted 100 wishes so far,” said Mickie. “I am so happy for him. This type of [charity work] is what makes it all worthwhile, the blood, sweat and tears.”

In special recognition of his contributions, Cena received a plaque last month from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Along with his recognition, the former WWE Champion joined an elite group of athletes, including the NBA’s Kobe Bryant and NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon.

“I always ask John if kids ask him whether or not he knows Mick Foley, because kids are always asking me if I know John Cena,” grinned Foley. “I’m always pretty good with kids, but with John, kids really seem to love him because he really is a genuinely nice guy.”

Foley will get no argument out of Make-A-Wish kid Tanner Flippen.

“It was awesome meeting [Cena],” said Flippen, just moments after he had the Champ sign autographs. “He was really nice. I just hope he wins tomorrow.”

While signing autographs and taking photos for more than an hour, Cena fielded a marriage proposal from one young girl (he politely declined) and also scored some free professional advice.

“I talked to him about his match at WrestleMania,” said Wish kid Adam Rudd. “I told him that he and Triple H need to team up against Randy Orton, then he can take care of Triple H.”

Sage advice from one of dozens of wide-eyed admirers, who clutched their signed T-shirts and could be heard whispering about how happy they were after they finished talking with the former WWE Champion.

It’s unclear, however, who the bigger beneficiary of Cena’s Make-A-Wish visits are — the kids or Cena himself.

“I think what the Make-A-Wish Foundation does is amazing,” said Cena. “I will do this for as long as I possibly can, or until my body wears out, and I can’t do it anymore.”

Credit: WWE.com

No comments: